Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Chewy Toffee Cookies: Old time favorite that never ages at all!



 I can remember that when I started baking (it's a long, long time ago, haha), at that time "Mrs. Fields' cookies" is one of something that I really want to make. So, what did I do?, I just bought a book with her name printed on the cover, haha.
.............................. is one of my first collection of cookbooks too. And I still can remember the day that I made the cookie by following her recipe and end up looking like a sheet pan, -*- everything was so hard to do and hard to understand for me. 
My problem is simple, I just couldn't measure the flour using the cup measurement, I hate to use cup because I can't control the result, one time the cookie came out fine the other time it's a disaster. So I read more (and buy more ^^) until I start to understand that when reading the recipe with cup measurement, you have to know what kind of measurement is, it's a lightly spoon, or dip and sweep. Both of them give you different amount and weight of flour, that can make your cookie turn out well or look like a sheet pan (like mine, haha). After baking with more success than failure for a while, I took this book out again and bake this cookie, and it's good! It's one of my brother's favorite after he had to eat a lot of disaster sweet that made by me.
This time I want to go back to something old again ^^, the recipe that made the unexperienced baker like me smile brightly. I think that many people will love this recipe too, it contains toffee and chocolate bar, both of my favorite treat, haha. The cookies look a bit like biscotti but it's not, Debbi call it logs. You can enjoy it as it is or dip it in a cup of milk or hot cocoa, it's delicious in every ways. 


For information about cup measurement and weight measurement conversion you can copy the table that I make from here.






Chewy Toffee cookies
Makes about 3 dozens

100g .............................. Brown sugar
50g ................................ Granulated sugar
115g ............................... Unsalted butter
¼ cup ............................ Vegetable oil 
3 ...................................... Eggs
1tbsp ............................... Vanilla extract
430g ................................ All-purpose flour
1½tsp ............................. Baking powder
¼tsp ............................... Salt
165g ................................ Snickers® bar*
50g .................................. Werther's Original®*
114g ................................. Pecan pieces, toasted
* Actually you can use other brands of chocolate bar or toffee that you like.


- the key ingredients -

 Put the toffee in the plastic bag and crush it with a pan.
Cut the Snickers® bar into 1cm pieces.
Sift flour, baking powder, and salt together, set aside. 
Beat the butter with oil until blend, add both of the sugar and beat until combine.
Add egg, one at a time, beat well after each addition, add the vanilla extract, beat to combine.
Pour the flour mixture into the bowl, and beat with low speed until just combined.
Add the toffee, chocolate bar bits, and pecan, stir to combine.
 Cover the bowl with plastic warp and refrigerate for 1 hour.
Preheat the oven to 180 °C
Line the baking sheet with baking paper or silicone baking mat.
Shape the dough into logs, about 1½ inches wide, leaving 2 inches in between.
Bake for 20-25 minutes, the top will crack and toothpick inserted in the center will come out clean, but the logs will still feel soft to the touch. Do not overbake. Transfer to a wire rack for 15 minutes, then cut into 1-inch pieces.
Chewy Toffee Cookies: 
Old time favorite that never ages at all!

8 comments:

  1. I just love toffee & the texture here is great with the large hunks. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cant take my eyes from the clicks..gorgeous cookies..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow..so lovely ;d I must try your cookies soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really think many of us loves toffee. Very perfect for cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can you tell me which nuts can I use instead of pecan pieces?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You can use walnut, cashew nut, or any nut that's not hard (almond is too hard for this cookie).
    Pook

    ReplyDelete
  7. i am sorry but when u say werthers original toffee bits, which exact product of this brand are you referring to? are they the hard candies or what? im really confused. thers alot to choose from on their official website. thanks

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi, The one that I use is the hard candy. ^^

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...